Monday, August 11, 2008

Meaghan Does Love's Cha Cha

Winnie, my boss; Marvis, whom today's blog will discuss

----One Week Ago----

"I want to go and do Kareoke while I'm here!" says Meaghan, aware of how everyone in Asia is in love with hearing themselves sing into a microphone (admittedly, this is pretty awesome).

"Kareoke?" says Marvis, looking puzzled. "You know Taiwanese?"

"Umm... what?" says Meaghan, a bit dismayed.

"Only old people go to Kareoke in Taiwan. Only old Taiwanese songs, too," Marvis explains helpfully. "KTV, with the little rooms, that is where young people go. You want to do that?"

"No," Meaghan says, disapointment written across her features, "I want to go hear people I don't know sing. I hear you guys sing all the time."

"Ahh," Marvis replies. "Well, I guess I could teach you a Taiwanese song if you wanted."

----Present Day----
Dear Diary,

On Sunday Marvis taught me how to sing a Taiwanese song. She also  taught me lots of useful sayings in Taiwanese, like "CHUG IT!" and "SHUT UP!" She was very nice, even lied and said that my pronunciation was awesome and that everyone would be able to tell what I was saying. She was even pretty good at hiding the snickers while she said this. To truly give you a good idea of what I am going to eventually do, I give you now this youtube video:



I know. Pretty sweet, right? But it gets better. We then found an English version so you can enjoy the words as well as the fantastic overall experience:



And yeah. That really, really long musical interlude will be included in my version.

I'm so going to get a recording deal here...


A TAIWANESE DICTIONARY:
dia mee = Shut Up
do shia lee = Thank you
keen lay = hurry up
keen lay la = seriously, hurry the fuck up right now.
tooki = go away
wa bay I dee boay bee lu = I want a beer
sheem I A = my love!
lim lo key = chug it!
jio ho = wish
chew = hand
wa gong die gee = I speak Taiwanese
ho tsia = yummy!
mm shi = no
mm shi li= not you

No comments: