Sunday, June 8, 2008

An Introduction

So, apparently I am not the only member of my family to venture to Taiwan, nor am I the only one of my friends to do so. I knew that my cousin, Sean, had taught there for a while, but I did not know that that one 2nd-or-so cousin who suffocated me with a pillow when he was twelve also has gone there, or that my friend Alex taught there too. Apparently, Taiwan is the place to be!

I'm going through Reach to Teach Recruiting, an awesome collaboration of people who've lived and worked in Taiwan and who aren't annoyed (visibly) by my incessant questions on food, feminine hygiene, or communications. At this point, we are still hammering out the whens and wheres of my teaching adventures, and waiting on a few vital pieces of information, namely my degree. This will be coming in less than a week, a fact that terrifies and excites me - it has taken a long time to get to this point!

I've recently gotten ahold of a perhaps-not-entirely-legal copy of Rosetta Stone software, and find the Chinese program hillariously entertaining and very useful. Interestingly, the Chinese word for 'cat' sounds exactly like the way my 2-year-old nephew slurs "I see Mrow," which is his way of indicating my sister's devil cat is in the area. I always knew he was born to speak Chinese!

No comments: