Tuesday, June 10, 2008

And it's official!

I will be working at Lincoln American School in Chiayi City, Taiwan! I've booked my plane ticket (and been suitably annoyed at the surprise fees given at the last moment... damn you, Expedia, you sneaky sneaky bastards) for the 28th of June, and the cheapest flight available (because yes, I am that cheap...) means a 5-hour layover in LAX until 2 in the morning, when I depart for Taiwan. I always feel time changes when you're flying are somehow mysterious and magical... I'll leave at 6:30 pm on a Saturday and arrive 6:30 am on a Monday... with a 19 hour flight and a 5 hour layover.

I'm not sure how I'm going to handle an 11 hour difference. It is, essentially, the worst time difference one could conceive of... because when it's morning for me, it's night time for them, and so my whole schedule will be entirely thrown off. I'm thinking that if I just keep myself awake for a very long time with caffeine and then, the day of the flight, make sure I fall asleep at what constitutes Taiwan night-time, I will be better able to adjust. But Jet Lag's going to be a bitch, regardless.

Went to the doctor's yesterday, got a TB test. My doctor had a fairly strong German accent and the tendency to speak directly at the pile of paperwork, so I'm not exactly sure why I had to get a TB test. But I have to go in tomorrow and find out the results. Basically, she poked me with this strange needle (it was pronged like a freakin' trident) and then told me in a calm voice that the growing bump on my arm would subside soon. It did, but now its red. Hopefully that means negative; while I wouldn't be surprised if I had tuburculosis (I have the immune system strength of an AIDs patient on their last legs, and no personal boundaries), the 6-month treatment of medication would be a bit of a bitch.

No comments: