Sunday, January 1, 2012

Colorblind to Six Foot Signs


NOTE: The ratio of silly string purchased to silly string in my hair DOES NOT ADD UP. Either we proved Newton wrong last night, or we were attacked by outside forces.  However, it turns out that shampoo and conditioner are more than sufficient to remove silly string, no matter how entrenched it is in your hair, pores, and psyche.

Josh spends most of the day in the pizza-scented lair of darkness that his hotel room turns into. Melo and I make excursions for food, T-shirts and a solution to the fact that while my bag has arrived, it turns out I packed lots of white shirts and only black bras.

Josh hiding in his temporary mancave, reading comics on his kindle.

I see my first gecko, and am a little underwhelmed.

Later, their friend John/Brett (both names are used, story currently lacking) shows up and tells us of his encounters with the Indian fortuntellers. These men line Khao San road, dressed in attire that is so traditional looking it has to be a costume instead of actual menswear, and single out gullible looking foreigners. At 5’8” and approximately 130 pounds, the Caucasian, very American JohnBrett apparently matched their search image perfectly. Despite JohnBrett’s assertions that he would NOT pay them 5000 baht they demanded for reading his fortune – or rather, for ‘figuring out’ his mother’s name, and the name of his first love(both of which he already knew) – the fortune tellers insisted on prying lots of personal details from JohnBrett and then attempting to weave together some sort of  grand reveal. When JohnBrett refused to give up the money he had specifically told them he would not give them, they chased him a bit, and then “cursed “ him. I choose to believe none of these fortune tellers approached me because they could sense that I was too clever to fall for their schtick, rather than the fact that I look like I may not actually have 5000 baht. I’ve got white tank tops to wear under my white shirts now to conceal my black bras; I could totally be the sort that carries around close to 200$ in their wallet, right?

We go to the Indian food restaurant (not affiliated). I am pleased to find a kindred spirit; just as I could not find the 12 ft tall green D&D Inn sign, Andy was somehow confused by the huge “Indian Food” and “Chilly Chills” signs into believing this shop was was a Mexican restaurant. I order palak paneer; it comes with something that may be a chilli pepper, or may be a cockroach*.

Later, a milestone: I win at pool against a boy! Melody “helps” and is aghast at my use of quotation marks in this sentence. More fundamental to our/my victory was Andy’s set of rules, which remind me of my nickname as a child – “Meaggie Makes up the Rules as She Goes Along.” For a series of mystically connected events, the next player somehow got two turns. Despite numerous attempts at clarification from Andy, I never do really discern what those events were, but I do benefit from them a great deal so I suppose I can’t complain.

Andy promising that his rules are 'legit' and that everyone in South Africa plays by them. BULLSHIT.

BUG BITES: 5

FACT: Tuk is much better than Melo at shithead.

*I am too hungry to bother checking.

No comments: