UPDATE, July 12th!
View Up My Apartment Complex
This week has largely been made up of me staring blankly into space and pretending to watch other people teach classes. Not that they are bad teachers – very much the opposite – but it’s hard to watch a lesson on how to spell apple. I also have led a conversation class with a 19-year-old girl named Vikki Wu every day for 2 hours, which means we really had to scrounge for things to talk about at the end of the week. I learned about typhoons (we haven’t had one yet) and fruit. Actually, we spent a lot of time talking about fruit. Oddly versatile as a conversational topic. We also discussed global warming, and whether Pluto should be considered a planet.
Move to Taiwan, Get some Groupies...
They ran up to me in the park and asked to take a picture with me.
I’ve now met Y-C at the Freen, a nice man who speaks English and likes to combine words together to make new flavors for his juice bar… like pineberry, kiwapple, and several others. Just this afternoon, I walked all the way from my house to his shop, which is a 45 minute journey each way. He was impressed, and horrified, and offered to drive me home. I think he was just trying to get my sweaty self out of his shop that much more quickly… I was sort of dripping. Still haven’t gotten around to getting that handkerchief.
I also met the security guard, and his mother. She only has 3 teeth, and speaks excellent English – no trace of an accent, though that might have been the complete absence of dentition…
And of course, as some of you may know, I met a lovely old man at the park. It was about 8:30 at night, I was returning from a nice long walk, and made the fatal mistake of saying hello to him in Chinese. He started babbling in something I believe was Taiwanese and not Chinese, pointing over the side of the bridge. I said “Frog?” and he got very very excited, nodded, and grabbed me by the arm. Since he was at least 60, sort of decrepit, and very very small (as I have mentioned, I’m a giant to these people!) I figured that was ok, and so we walked up to a gazebo for what I thought was going to be some sort of bird watching, Taiwanese-babbling good times.
City Janitor, with AWESOME hat that doesn't show up very well here.
Things that May Be of Interest:
- Really? You think something’s going to beat that?
Giant Snail!
No comments:
Post a Comment